Monday, October 20, 2014

Good Afternoon

Family and Friends, 
Think for a moment about this fill in the blank. How would you fill it In? “I have felt the most love from someone when ___________.” Maybe you are like me and have many: they take time out of their lives to spend it with me, I get a random text that shows their thinking about me, or they never give up on me even in the hard times, etc. 
Jesus Christ, Your Savior and brother, came to this earth to be an example for us. In Moroni 7 verses 47-48 we read "But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen."
"Love is the very essence of the gospel, and Jesus Christ is our Exemplar. His life was a legacy of love. The sick He healed; the downtrodden He lifted; the sinner He saved. At the end the angry mob took His life. And yet there rings from Golgotha’s hill the words: “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do”--a crowning expression in mortality of compassion and love."*
"There are many attributes which are manifestations of love, such as kindness, patience, selflessness, understanding, and forgiveness. In all our associations, these and other such attributes will help make evident the love in our hearts."*
This week we found ourselves looking into a room of a care center. In this room was two women, both in wheelchairs, one struggling to eat and the other talking softly to her and helping her. We were so shocked by this sight, we just sat in the door way for a minute and watched. We've visited this lady, the one helping, many times. Every time we went she had a negative vibe or just rolled her eyes at this other roommate. As we walked into their room we could feel the love they had ACQUIRED for each other. As I thought about this two wonderful women, I thought about my relationships, some people I idiomatically loved and others I had to ACQUIRE. But, I am so thankful for those relationships. Sometimes all it takes is to get to know someone, spend some time with them, and have a desire to want to have a Christlike love for those around you. 
President Spencer W. Kimball said  “We must remember that those mortals we meet in parking lots, offices, elevators, and elsewhere are that portion of mankind God has given us to love and to serve. It will do us little good to speak of the general brotherhood of mankind if we cannot regard those who are all around us as our brothers and sisters.”
It has amazed me the people I have come to love on my mission. People I never would have even probably talked to at home. It's been such a blessing to meet people and share the gospel with them. 
How do we gain Charity or the pure love of Christ? Preach My Gospel says "Charity is a gift from God. The prophet Mormon said that we should “pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that [we] may be filled with this love” (Moroni 7:48). As you follow this counsel and strive to do righteous works, your love for all people will increase, especially those among whom you labor. You will come to feel a sincere concern for the eternal welfare and happiness of other people. You will see them as children of God with the potential of becoming like our Heavenly Father, and you will labor in their behalf. You will avoid negative feelings such as anger, envy, lust, or covetousness. You will avoid judging others, criticizing them, or saying negative things about them. You will try to understand them and their points of view. You will be patient with them and try to help them when they are struggling or discouraged. Charity, like faith, leads to action. You will develop charity as you look for opportunities to serve others and give of yourself." 
I'm thankful for all those that have and do show their love to me! I pray that I can do the same! I know with our Saviors help we can overcome our weaknesses and find the love for those people we may not have it for. I invite you to think of someone in your life that you may have a "problem" with and pray for them, get to know them, and love them! 
Dale Carnegie once said "Perhaps you will forget tomorrow the kind words you say today, but the recipient may cherish them over a lifetime.” I know that to be true!
"And behold it is written also, that thou shalt love thy neighbor and hate thine enemy;
But behold I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them who despitefully use you and persecute you;"
3 Nephi 12:43-44
Love,
Sister Reber 

Other fun things this week
-Went to a wedding of a less-active in our Ward. Weddings are quite awkward as a missionary. 
-Went on my first exchange as STL. Sister Patterson and I had a blast in Alta Sierra. We had an awesome spiritual lesson there as well. 
-Today we went to a pumpkin patch with our District. 
-We helped move a family. 
-Sister Hänninen and I made a goal! I quit eating chocolate and she isn't having candy. So far so good. 


Pictures:
-The wonderful women at the care center. Gloria & Murna.
-Wedding crashers! Sister Hänninen, Elder Ewell, me, Elder McGuffy
-District at the Pumpkin patch. Elder Vielstich, Elder Hyde, Sisters, Elder McGuffy, Elder Ewell.


No comments:

Post a Comment