Monday, October 6, 2014

When we can't find the house number....we look for the trash can!

Hello Family and Friends,

This week has been so fun, exciting, refreshing, and spiritual! Did you just love General Conference? I loved it! So many gospel throw downs! On Saturday, President Uchtdorf said "God cares about you. He will listen. And he will answer your personal questions." I have to admit I didn't prepare for conference like I should have. As I heard President Uchtdorf say those words, I knew if I prayed for inspiration I would receive it. Sunday morning I had questions I wanted answered, things I have been worrying about and I can tell you this....OUR HEAVENLY FATHER ANSWERS PRAYERS. Sunday afternoon session, my questions were answered and my testimony strengthened. 
Auburn is wonderful! I honestly can say that I love it here! The ward members are so missionary minded, the land is beautiful, and the weather is great! My companion is Sister Hänninen, she 23, been out 15 months, and is from Finland. She is so awesome and ...awesome! I have definitely been blessed with great companions. 
This week we had a leadership meeting, had a lady in a nursing home ask us if she could be baptized, a less active couple decided to get sealed in the temple, we have a SWEET zone, and Heavenly Father is blessing me right and left.     
As I have been thinking and praying about what to share with you I came across some scriptures this week that have been on my mind. I'm now in my new area, Auburn. I was very excited to transfer, progress, and do new things. I got just that! I am a STL, driving( in a "city"), trying to remember everyone's names, and trying to change into a better missionary. With all that....I LOVE IT! I have became closer to my Heavenly Father this week, then probably any other. As I pray to my Heavenly Father for help in getting things down, and my amazing companion humbly praying for me every time we pray together, I have been humbled by the love and support my Heavenly Father has given me. He is REAL! 
One of the greatest resources or gift that I have been given is, the third member of the Godhead, the Holy Ghost. Joseph Smith explained that “baptism is a holy ordinance preparatory to the reception of the Holy Ghost; it is the channel and key by which the Holy Ghost will be administered. The Gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands, cannot be received through the medium of any other principle than the principle of righteousness”. When we are confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and this important phrase is said: “Receive the Holy Ghost." 
"The simplicity of this ordinance may cause us to overlook its significance. These four words--“Receive the Holy Ghost”--are not a passive pronouncement; rather, they constitute a priesthood injunction--an authoritative admonition to act and not simply to be acted upon (see 2 Nephi 2:26). The Holy Ghost does not become operative in our lives merely because hands are placed upon our heads and those four important words are spoken. As we receive this ordinance, each of us accepts a sacred and ongoing responsibility to desire, to seek, to work, and to so live that we indeed “receive the Holy Ghost” and its attendant spiritual gifts. “For what doth it profit a man if a gift is bestowed upon him, and he receive not the gift? Behold, he rejoices not in that which is given unto him, neither rejoices in him who is the giver of the gift” (D&C 88:33). What should we do to make this authorized admonition to seek for the companionship of the third member of the Godhead an ongoing reality? Let me suggest that we need to (1) sincerely desire to receive the Holy Ghost, (2) appropriately invite the Holy Ghost into our lives, and (3) faithfully obey God’s commandments."
(Receive the Holy Ghost)
This week as I have needed the Holy Ghost as a CONSENT companion, I have learned that we ALWAYS have to be ready for that short, quite moment when the Holy Ghost will speak to us. If we aren't thinking about it....we may miss it! We can't command the Holy Ghost to be with us, but as promised by our Heavenly Father, if we command ourselves to live in a way that the Holy Ghost will be with us. In 1 Nephi 16, we learn about Lehi and his family. In verse 10, "And it came to pass that as my father arose in the morning, and went forth to the tent door, to his great astonishment he beheld upon the ground a round ball of curious workmanship; and it was of fine brass. And within the ball were two spindles; and the one pointed the way whither we should go into the wilderness." We know that the Liahona was "God made", pointed Lehi and his family to where they needed to go (unlike a compass which only pointed north), and would not work if they were disobedient. We often hear the Liahona as a spiritual symbol for the Holy Ghost. As we read what Lehi's family had to do for the Liahona to work, it's the same for the Holy Ghost to work in our lives. I know that as we DESIRE to have the Holy Ghost in our lives, INVITE him into our lives, and OBEY ALL the commandments, we will be blessed with the companionship of the Holy Ghost. 
Thank you all for your prayers! I am so thankful for this opportunity to serve! 
Love,
Sister Reber 

Commitment: Give a referral to your local missionaries OR post your favorite conference quote on Facebook.  

"I want to do what is right when there's no one around. Be a light in the darkness so hope can be found. With faith in my Father I'm leading a fight for the truth." 

New Address on address bar.


The Holy Ghost is free!......you just have to invite Him in.

No comments:

Post a Comment